Monday, November 20, 2006

Living from your Heart

Confucius said, "To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue; these five are gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness." Sincerity and earnestness are vital components of character. Part of it is to simply say what you mean and mean what you say!

"I adore you," the young man said to his girl. "I need you; I can't live without you; I love you." She pushed him aside saying, "John...I don't want to get serious." John replied, "Who's serious?"

Like Tennessee Williams might say, he had all the sincerity of a bird hunter's whistle. Saying what you mean and meaning what you say is vital, but there is another important part to living a genuine and whole life: that is to LIVE what you say. Make your actions and your words the same. Living what you say is at the heart of sincerity.

Louis (Satchmo) Armstrong was said to be "the seminal artist of jazz history -- the first to combine trumpet virtuosity and an original musical vision with an entertainer's sense of presence and persona." He was a superb jazz musician who also know how to entertain. Louis Armstrong said this about his musical performances: "What (I) play is life -- my whole life, my whole soul, my whole spirit is to blow that horn."

When he made music, his life and soul and spirit were one. It all came from his heart... and it spoke to our hearts. Any life can be great when it is lived from the heart. And no life is great that is insincere.

Let your whole life, your whole soul and your whole spirit sing in harmony. For when your words harmonize with your actions, you become a person of great character.

No comments: